Why balance bikes are the best first bike.
It’s a very important milestone in every childhood, it’s a momentous photo opportunity, and it’s even a tear-jerker for some parents as their little one wobbles off down the path - that precious day when you present your child with his or her shiny new first bike.
Children of the 1980's or 90's will probably have vivid memories of their first bike – the greasy pedal marks on the back of our calves, that sinking feeling as you realise you and the bike are going over, sideways, with a heavy hunk of metal and rubber, and you’re going to need rescuing!
Just a few of the many reasons that lots of parents would choose to wait until their children were aged 4 or 5, or even older before they put them through this exciting, but sometimes challenging life lesson.
But it doesn’t have to be an ordeal.
Learning to ride a bike doesn’t have to be painful or risky. The balance bike puts all of those worries behind us and brings back all the excitement of riding a first bike. This is why we believe balance bikes really make the very best first bike… for toddlers as young as 18 months!
Some very appealing things about balance bikes:
- Firstly, there are no pedals to get caught on the back of the legs, bang shins, go round in circles the wrong way with or slip off! Cycling involves many new skills and balancing is the most important one – so just teach them that. When your little one is tired, they can be pushed along on the bike with their legs up without pedals getting in the way too.
- Balance bikes were originally designed for especially young children. They’re not replicas of bigger bikes either, they’re designed to be easy to handle, safe and light. (We make balance bikes for adults too, but that’s for another post)
- Strider balance bikes have an ultralight build and the wheels come with a large tread and wider wheel base. This makes it easier for your child to balance and stay on the straight and narrow!
- Balance bikes build your child’s upper body strength and – you guessed it, balance!
- Because there are no pedals, balance bikes can only really go as fast as your little child’s legs can push them (apart from downhill of course) so they’re much less likely to whizz off out of sight and get into trouble.
- Balance bikes are super light to carry, manoeuvre and play with compared to traditional bikes. They’re easier to store too, because they don’t have all those wires and nuts and bolts hanging in and out and all around the mechanics! This is also good for the heavy-laden parent if they ever have to carry one up stairs or around a store.
- You don’t need to be a DIY expert or mechanic to adjust a balance bike, and there’s not much at all to go wrong so no worry about getting a finance deal with the local bike shop either. Balance bike just work and need hardly any maintenance.
At Strider we have a good selection of balance bikes for you to buy the best first bike for your little person, whether it’s a birthday or Christmas present or just a big surprise.
You can customise our bikes with different coloured saddles and wheels too which all helps to make it a very special best first bike.